Monday, November 24, 2008

YOUR TOOLS FOR SUCCESS IN 2009

About 100 years ago, Mark Twain observed that "the difference between the right word and almost the right word is the difference between lightening and the lightening bug," and that applies to the tools we use every day.A while back, Mary and I spent a few days on the Oregon coast for a bit of renewal and goal-setting. We stayed in a lovely condominium, right on the beach with a beautiful fireplace, nice furniture and a fantastic view of the sunset. Everything was perfect, except....The knives in the kitchen were cheap, mismatched, and dull. The first evening, I squashed (rather than sliced) a tomato and later I struggled to trim a steak. Small things, but really, really annoying! The next day we drove into town and I found a housewares shop, spent a few dollars for a good knife, and returned with my "treasure." That knife made cooking easier and my weekend better!
It's a trivial story, so what's the point? Simple: The winners in life use good tools, including sharp knives!High achievers invest in themselves, their business and their future. They have a great coach, a strong support team, and they keep their tools "sharp" all the time. And, what intrigues me, is how little it costs to have the best. In fact, it doesn't "cost"--it pays to have good tools!What exactly are these high-quality tools?Some professions need to impress clients with fancy offices or elaborate technical equipment, but far more often the winners in life invest in tools that are amazingly simple and sometimes, they're free! Here are some examples:
1. Written goals. Winners use a notebook, ring-binder or similar document to identify their most important objectives. They know where they are going. They know their outcomes in advance and their only investment is a pen, a piece of paper and a few hours' time.
2. A calendar. I prefer year-at-a-glance wall calendars so we can color-code important dates far ahead of time. We color in our birthdays and anniversary, vacations and family times. We use a different color for business trips and similar commitments. It lets us see the ebb-and-flow of our lives; it keeps us focused and excited all year long.
3. A daily plan. I use little 3x5 cards. My assistant uses her electronic planner. There are lots of systems on the market, but the key is to plan each day in advance, selecting your priorities and doing the most important things first. High achievers plan the night before, or first thing in the morning. They know the value of a day, and never leave it to chance.
4. A support team. Whether you have a business partner, a professional coach, or a master-mind group, winners have advisors to keep them on track and focused. President Roosevelt called it his "kitchen cabinet" (separate from his official Cabinet officers) and they helped him set his course.
5. Thinking time. High achievers schedule time to plan, to review, to brain-storm and review, to meditate or journal. High achievers have a system to maintain perspective and chart their course. Bill Gates takes an entire week every three months to plan, and it seems to have worked well for him.
6. Great equipment. Mainly, I'm talking about your personal computer but the principle applies to whatever equipment you use. I am frequently amazed at the bright, ambitious winners who contact me for coaching and in our interview I learn that they "can't afford" to up-grade their equipment or "don't have time" to master the software they already have! Would you hire a carpenter with a rusty saw or a broken hammer? Winners own and use good tools!
I'll close with another personal story. My preferred form of exercise has always been walking and jogging, and I still remember when I bought my first pair of specialized running shoes, about 30 years ago. I had no idea shoes could make such a difference! My legs stopped aching, I ran further and faster, and I was astonished! In the store the shoes seemed terribly expensive; the first morning, I knew they were a bargain! Good tools make all the difference.

No comments: