Wednesday, November 18, 2009

USING THE WORLD'S BEST TOOLS.

This week I was talking with a colleague about technology and computers, and told her about my policy of replacing our computers every 18 months, or sooner. She exclaimed that she couldn't afford that, and my comment was that I can’t afford not to.
The rule is that the most productive workers, and ultimately the most successful people, always have the best tools. Period.
To earn more, you must do or produce more, and that requires better skills, more knowledge, more efficient methods, and of course, the very best tools. To compete in tough economic times:
1. Learn more. Continuous learning is a must. Brian Tracy points out that if you read one book per week, in ten years you will have read 500 books, and then he asks: "Would reading 500 books give you an edge over your competitors, knowing that most people never read at all?" I think the an swer is obvious.
2. Get the best equipment. I replace our computers because I do not want "down time." I replace them as insurance against failed hard drives and burned out chips. I replace them (and up-grade our software) because I trust Murphy's Law that if systems can fail, they will fail, and at the worst possible moment. I want our office to be a "problem-free zone" where we work without frustration or distraction. Get good equipment.
3. Expand your network. There is great truth that "it's who you know that counts." Through my network of amazing people I can get the answers to almost any question or find a solution to any problem. The good people in my network assist me, and they support my clients. My network is perhaps my most valuable asset. It provides me with what I need, when I need it, virtually every time.
To earn more, get better tools.

No comments: