Monday, August 22, 2011

AVOID PERFECTION, PURSUE EXCELLENCE

There are two famous recommendations that I don't believe
in. They are supposed to lead to the "good life" but I don't
think they work. The first is "all things in moderation" and
the second is the quest for "perfection."
Regarding moderation, I much prefer the wonderful quote from
May West that "too much of a good thing is just right." What
a great attitude!
I deserve LOTS of great things in my life! I deserve all the
health, joy, love, great memories, passion and fulfillment I
can get!
Now, I admit, I have noticed that moderation in some things
is a good thing. Moderation in drinking, for instance, seems
to reduce hangovers, accidents, addiction, and all sorts of
embarrassing moments. Moderating my consumption of chips,
dip and beer seems to be a good thing. (Super Bowl Sunday
may be an exception – I'm still checking data on that one.)
Moderating my spending to match my income seems to be a good
thing.
But when it comes to the things that make life worth-while,
I hate moderation! Why would I settle for a "little"
happiness when the world seems designed to fill my life with
joy?! Why would I work like a slave, when wealth and fun and
freedom and love are all around me? Sure, I work to earn
money (and to make my unique contribution), but I'd much
rather practice "moderation" in work and "let her rip" when
it comes to joy and personal development!
I don't believe in "moderation in all things." Be very, very
careful about the things you "practice in moderation!"
Similarly, trying to make life "perfect" is a trap. Very few
things in life are "perfect" because life is always
changing. If it was perfect a moment ago, it may already be
deteriorating or evolving into something new and better.
Perhaps my tastes have changed and I'm no longer satisfied.
Very few things in life are "perfect," and certainly not for
very long.
More importantly, since we aren't perfect, very few of the
things we do are perfect. There's a wonderful quote about
Howard Hughes that for all his genius and wealth and
determination, "he sought a perfection that assured
failure."
Don't do that to yourself! It doesn't work out well.
Instead, strive for excellence. Strive for a GREAT life, not
a perfect one. Trouble happens. Mistakes happen. Bad luck
and misfortune, and yes, evil raises its head and tragedy
happens, but good things happen, too. Excellence and wisdom,
love and joy never go out of style. We never outgrow our
desire for celebration, achievement, personal growth and
learning.
I am totally convinced it is possible to live a World Class
Life(tm)! In fact, I believe it is the MINIMUM we should
expect of ourselves. Who would choose to live a mediocre
life? Who would choose to develop only part of their
potential, to use only some of their talent or a bit of
their creativity? No one would do that!
You can and should strive for excellence--for a life that is
nothing less than "World Class" in all things.

Quotes of the Week
"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm." -- Colette
"And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk
even more." -- Erica Jong
"We would worry less about what others think of us if we
realized how seldom they do." -- Ethel Barrett
"Fun is about as good a habit as there is." -- Jimmy Buffett


No comments: