Monday, December 17, 2012

SUCCESS IN 2013: YOUR TOOL BOX

About 100 years ago, Mark Twain observed that "the
difference between the right word and almost the right word
is the difference between lightning and the lightning bug,"
and that applies to the tools we use every day.
High achievers invest in themselves, their business and
their future. They have a great coach, a strong support
team, and the best tools. And, what intrigues me, is how
little it costs to have the best. In fact, it doesn’t cost
at all -- it pays amazing dividends!
What exactly are these high-quality tools?
Some professions need to impress clients with fancy offices
or elaborate equipment, but far more often the winners in
life invest in tools that are amazingly simple and
sometimes, they're free! Here are some examples:
1. A notebook of written goals. Winners use a notebook,
ring-binder or similar document to identify their most
important objectives. They know where they are going. They
know their outcomes in advance. They have a plan. And they
document their progress, day by day. And all for the cost of
pen and paper!
2. A calendar. Personally, I prefer year-at-a-glance wall
calendars so I can color-code important dates far ahead of
time. I color in birthdays and anniversaries, vacations and
family times. I use a different color for business trips and
similar commitments. It lets me see the ebb-and-flow of the
year and plan accordingly. It keeps me focused and motivated
on a daily basis.
3. A daily plan. I use little 3x5 cards. My assistant uses
her electronic planner, and there are lots of systems on the
market, but the key is to plan each day in advance,
selecting your priorities and doing the most important
things first. High achievers plan each day the night before,
or first thing in the morning. They know the value of a day,
and never leave it to chance.
4. A support team. Whether you have a business partner, a
professional coach, or a master-mind group, winners have
advisors to keep them on track and focused. President
Roosevelt called it his "kitchen cabinet" (separate from his
official Cabinet officers) and they helped him set his
course.
5. Thinking time. High achievers schedule time to plan, to
review, to brain-storm and review, to meditate or journal.
High achievers have a system to maintain perspective and
chart their course. At least once a week, stop everything.
Get a cup of tea or coffee, your notebook, and SIT STILL!
Spend an hour thinking about your life and how to make it
better. I think you'll like the results.
6. Great equipment. Mainly, I'm talking about your personal
computer, but the principle applies to any equipment you use
on a regular basis. Winners own and use good tools! Clean up
your office. Get a new desk chair or lamp or some good
music. Tools and surroundings that keep you focused and make
you productive are absolutely critical. Insist on the best!
I'll close with another personal story. My preferred form of
exercise has always been walking and jogging, and I still
remember over 30 years ago when I bought my first pair of
specialized running shoes. I had no idea shoes could make
such a difference! Instantly, my legs stopped aching, I ran
further and faster, and I was astonished! In the store they
seemed outrageously expensive; that first morning, I knew
they were a bargain! Good tools make all the difference.

No comments: