Monday, February 11, 2013

EXPECT EXCELLENCE IN ALL THINGS

There are two famous recommendations that I don't agree
with. They are supposed to lead to the "good life" but I
don't think they work. The first is "all things in
moderation," and the second is the quest for "perfection."
Regarding moderation, I much prefer the wonderful quote
from May West that "too much of a good thing is just
right." What a great attitude!
I deserve LOTS of great things in my life! I deserve all
the health, joy, love, great memories, passion and
fulfillment I can get!
Now, I admit, I have noticed that moderation in some things
is a good thing. Moderation in drinking, for instance,
seems to reduce hangovers, accidents, addiction, and all
sorts of embarrassing moments. Likewise, moderating my
consumption of chips, dip and hot dogs seems to be good.
Moderating my spending to match my income also seems wise.
But when it comes to the things that make life worth-while,
I HATE moderation! Why would I settle for a "little"
happiness when the world is designed to fill my life with
joy?! Why would I work like a slave, when wealth and play
and freedom and love are all around me? Sure, I work to
earn money (and to make my unique contribution), but I'd
much rather practice "moderation" in work and "let her rip"
when it comes to joy and personal development!
I don't believe in "moderation in all things." Be very,
very careful about the things you "practice in moderation!"
Similarly, trying to make life "perfect" is a trap. Very
few things in life are "perfect" because life is always
changing. If it was perfect a moment ago, it may already be
deteriorating or evolving into something new. Or my tastes
may have changed--perhaps I've outgrown it--and am no
longer satisfied. Very few things in life are "perfect" and
even fewer things remain so for long.
More importantly, since we aren't perfect, very few of the
things we do are perfect, either. There's a wonderful quote
about the great Howard Hughes that, for all his genius and
wealth and power, "he sought a perfection that assured
failure."
Don't do that to yourself! It doesn't work out well.
Instead, strive for excellence. Strive for a GREAT life,
not a perfect one. Trouble happens. Mistakes happen. Bad
luck and misfortune, and yes, evil and tragedy happen. But
good things happen, too. Excellence and wisdom, love and
joy never go out of style. We never outgrow our desire for
celebration, achievement, personal growth and new things.
I am totally convinced it is possible to live a World Class
Life! In fact, I believe it is the MINIMUM we should expect
of ourselves. Who would choose a life of safe mediocrity?
Who would develop only part of their potential, or use only
some of their talent or a bit of their creativity? No one
would do that!
Every day, get up and go for excellence. Expect the very
best in your relationships--a hug and a smile are a great
way to start your day! Expect superb service and great
results. Expect beauty and humor, inspiration and lots of
fun. Expect to focus on your work, and to work long and
hard to accomplish magnificent outcomes. And expect
extraordinary peace, joy and satisfaction in life, every
day. Settle for nothing less.

No comments: