Friday, May 3, 2013

THE BEST OF TIMES AND THE WORST OF TIMES

I love the classic line from Charles Dickens, "It was the 
best of times, it was the worst of times." Truly, these are 
the best (and the worst) of times. The Good News is that 
you get to choose!
Watching television indicates these are clearly the worst 
of times. Economic stagnation threatens our homes, our 
jobs, our retirement, and Europe. Our health is threatened 
by a new flu from China, just when our system is adapting 
to "Obamacare."  There are reports that nerve gas has been 
used in Syria, there's Iran and North Korea to ponder, and 
we all know about the bombings in Boston. "They" say global 
warming is going to drown us all--unless an asteroid strikes 
and blows us up first. And perhaps worst of all, the FAA 
has furloughed air traffic controllers, so our flights are 
even later than usual. Folks, things are really, really 
bad!
Or not. My tomatoes (and my crab grass) are coming up right 
on schedule, there's food in my pantry, my truck is full of 
gas, my neighbours and my clients still seem to like me, and 
Mary hasn't left me (yet). My dog is at my feet, the sun is 
shining and robins are singing in the trees. I just enjoyed 
a great cigar and a good book. Surely, this must be the 
best of times????
Who’s to decide?
Here’s the nugget: YOU DO!
This week I read one of Dean Koontz' recent books, Odd 
Hours. Koontz is a prolific writer with a delightfully 
twisted perspective and his hero, a guy named Odd Thomas 
(who sees dead people), avoids "contemporary TV, 
contemporary politics, contemporary art: all too frantic, 
fevered, and frivolous, or else angry, bitter." Apparently, 
when your job as a short-order cook is frequently 
interrupted by the spirits of dead people needing help, 
life is complicated enough without watching the news. 
While Koontz' whimsical perspective is fun, it contains 
much truth. If a fry cook's life is too complex to tolerate 
the news, how about yours (and mine)? 
I've been struck, and troubled, by what President Carter 
once called a spirit of "malaise." I can't speak for the 
nation, much less the world, but I can report that I've had 
too many conversations with folks who are worried, anxious, 
distracted and fearful. Even my spam has turned negative! 
Instead of telling me I've inherited millions from an 
unknown relative, now I get warnings about the flu or 
promising help with my debts! When spam turns negative, I 
know the world is going to hell in a hand-basket.
Don't you believe it! I once heard the Dalai Lama say that 
the basic desire of all human beings is to "be happy." We 
long for peace, contentment, satisfaction, love and 
happiness, and the truth is, it's all around us.
In many of his programs and presentations, Tony Robbins 
talks about people who say the one thing they want is peace 
of mind, even while they live hectic lives that leave no 
room for a peaceful moment, much less peace of mind. He 
points out that peace of mind is available any time we want 
it. Soak in a hot-tub, take a walk, read some poetry, 
meditate or pray. Peace of mind is available, but not while 
watching the news or arguing with the kids.
I suggest that happiness largely results from an attitude 
of gratitude. These truly are the best of times if we 
choose to make them so. Most IMPACT readers are healthy. We 
are educated. We have friends, and opportunity is all 
around us. We are, by any reasonable standard, wealthy. We 
can travel, or read the best books ever written. We can 
start businesses, learn new languages or other skills. We 
can change our minds, and our lives. 
This week, as an experiment, turn off the news and have a 
conversation. Instead of television, turn on Mozart, 
Beethoven, or Streisand. Worry less, laugh more, and take a 
nap! Leave work early and invite a friend to dinner, play 
catch with your kids or walk the dog. Give thanks for the 
roof over your head and a soft bed at night. Pass out some 
balloons at the local hospital. I think you'll find your 
life is richer and much better. You may even find yourself 
being happy and feeling good!

No comments: