Monday, November 4, 2013

THE WORLD'S BEST TOOLS


This week I was talking with a colleague about technology
and computers, and told her about my policy of replacing
our office computers every 18 months, or sooner. She
exclaimed that she couldn't afford that, and my comment was
that I couldn't afford not to.
The rule is that the most productive workers, and
ultimately the most successful people, always have the best
tools. Period.
To earn more, you must know and produce more, and that
requires better tools. For most of us, our key tools are
our knowledge, our computers, and the colleagues we
associate with every day.
1. That means you must learn more. Continuous learning is a
must. Brian Tracy points out that if you read one book per
week, in ten years you will have read 500 books, and then
he asks this question: "Would reading 500 books give you an
edge over your competitors, knowing that most people never
read at all?" I think the answer is obvious.
2. It means investing in the best equipment. I replace our
computers because I do not want "down time." I replace them
as insurance against failed hard drives and burned out
chips. I replace them (and up-grade our software) because I
trust Murphy's Law that if systems can fail, they will
fail, and at the worst possible moment. I want our office
to be a "problem-free zone" where we work without
frustration or distraction. Get good equipment.
3. Expand your network. There is great truth that "it's who
you know that counts". My network of amazing people have
the answers to almost any question, they assist me, and
they support my clients. It's the network that provides me
with what I need, when I need it, virtually every time.
To earn more, get better tools.

No comments: