Thursday, September 15, 2016

SMALL HABITS DETERMINE YOUR FUTURE

Almost everything we do is the result of our habits. We get
up about the same time, go through a familiar routine of
showering, brushing our teeth, and getting ready for the
day. Most people take the same route to work every day,
whether they drive the freeway, ride the train or take a
bike. Of course, there are minor variations as we decide
what to wear, make allowance for road construction or get
up early for a breakfast meeting.
But the fact remains that habits simplify our lives.
Imagine if you woke up with no idea where the bathroom or
closet might be, what your schedule was, or what
responsibilities you faced. Life would be stressful beyond
belief! Fortunately, we have "ordinary routines" that help
us navigate our way to our first cup of coffee, and guide
our activities through the day. Most of the time, our
habits serve us well.
And here's a vital point: Habits start out as very simple
choices.
There's an old diddy that goes something like this:  Sow a
thought, and reap an action. Sow action, and reap a habit.
Sow a habit, reap a character. Sow a character and reap a
destiny! Think about the power of that sequence! To a
remarkable degree our ultimate success or failure in life
is the long-term result of simple thoughts and ordinary,
routine habits.
So, why not intentionally choose daily habits or
"disciplines" that will take you where you want to go in
life? Here are a few examples.
Many people get in the habit of listening to sports or talk
radio while they commute and, of course there's nothing
wrong with that. But other people get in the habit of
listening to a motivational, inspirational or educational
audio, and over time, they benefit from that daily habit.
Or how about people who routinely grab a hamburger and
fries for lunch, while others habitually reach for an apple
and salad? Some people habitually come home and turn on the
TV, while others get home and go for a run, mow the lawn or
do homework with the kids. Any of those choices are "easy"
but some lead to better long-term outcomes than others.
Some people have the habit of spending, while others choose
the habit of saving and investing. Either option is easy
and fun, but they have very different long-term results.
As a coach Philip Humbert said, "I encourage my clients to make a handful of
fundamental decisions about the habits they want in their
lives. I encourage them to be clear, specific and committed
to each of them.
One habit Mary and I have had for twenty years is that the
first three words we utter every morning and the last three
we say at night are the same: "I love you." Many of my
clients have developed the habit of reading something
positive every single day, even if it's only a few pages.
Over time, it becomes a part of who they are and how they
live their lives.
For years I've had a "Daily 7" that I pursue and the "code"
may not mean much to you, but the list has powerful meaning
for me. My Daily 7 are: "Read, Write, Walk, Work, Nest,
Network, and Fun." Each word stands for a pattern or habit
that I want in my life. Some days, they get more focus or
effort than others, but over the years those seven "code
words" have helped me lose weight, enriched my marriage,
made me money and expanded my sense of community. My "Daily
7" are habits that help me create the life I've chosen for
myself.
I encourage you to choose a few simple, positive habits
that ill enhance your life. Reduce them to simple actions
you WILL take every day. If they are complicated, you may
not stay committed to them, so use the KISS formula and
"Keep It Simple and Straight-forward." It's easier to
develop the habit of "exercising for 15 minutes" than to
"get fit."
For better or worse, life is made up of our small daily
habits. High achievers have habits that reflect their
values and aspirations in life. Unfortunately, most people
have habits that keep them comfortable but do not achieve
the things they want in life. Over time, work to remove
habits that hold you back, but it's even more important to
add positive daily habits that reflect your highest and
best qualities.

No comments: