Monday, February 20, 2017

GO BEYOND REASONABLE

Consumers have a world of choices for even the most mundane
purchases. We have a dozen grocery and convenience stores
near us. There are hundreds of dentists, doctors, lawyers
and accountants in Eugene. My website is hosted…I don't
even where!
So what makes people go out of their way to do business
with you?
Philip Humbert shared "Recently, a friend told me about a wonderful experience he
had when GM agreed to pay for work on his vehicle even
though it was more than 35,000 miles (!) out of warranty.
Those stories turn customers into "fanatics!"
I've often told the story of Fiddler's Green, a golf shop
here in Eugene that claims to have the largest on-course
pro shop in the world. People drive hundreds of miles to
buy golf clubs, bags and accessories from "Fid's" because
of their extraordinary service. The place is huge, and it's
fun. They greet you at the door, and they always have
exactly what you're looking for--plus a few other
"essentials" I didn't know I was looking for!
I once wore out a golf bag, and they replaced it free. I
used it for almost three years when the strap broke. I
figured that was ordinary wear and tear and I just wanted
to get one like it. The owner talked with me, said he'd
"see what I can do," made a phone call and handed me a
brand new bag. Now I'm telling you--and recommending
Fiddler's Green to about 40,000 of my best friends.
What do people say about you and your business? How many
"fanatics" do you have? It only takes a handful of loyal,
life-long customers to make any business successful, but
too often we focus on advertising to bring new customers in
the door. That's a very expensive way to do business!
Amaze your customers. Astonish them. Go way beyond
"reasonable" and you'll build an empire, make your fortune
and have fun doing it. Go beyond "reasonable."

No comments: