Monday, March 12, 2018

CHOOSE OPTIMISM

Every morning I take about 15 minutes to sip tea,
collect my thoughts and plan my day. I jot my daily
priorities on a card, and on the back I write a summary of
my major goals and life-values. I put it in my pocket and
review it throughout the day to stay on track and to smile
as I get things done.
There's nothing special about that. Lots of success
coaches recommend planning your day. (It is a KEY to
getting the important things done!)
What caught my attention this week was the need to
intentionally CHOOSE to be optimistic and hopeful. On
Thanksgiving morning (of all days), our local newspaper had
headlines about a state budget crisis here.
There was a story about terrorism and something about
problems in the schools. I turned on the radio and was
warned about dangerous toys and travel delays and all sorts
of bad news. 
The irony hit me in the face. No one - not the news, not
my business associates, no one - was going to remind me to
be cheerful, optimistic and productive.
All around us, the world conspires to be negative. It's
too hot or too cold. Costs are too high, incomes are too
low. Beware of illness, be careful of danger. Watch out!
In journalism, there is a saying that "if it bleeds, it
leads." Bad news sells, and that is a shame. Thanks to
television, bad news shows up in our living rooms within
minutes, giving us a daily dose of pain, danger and
suffering.
Yes, we live in a complex world and there are real and
legitimate problems out there. Of course that's true!
It also happens to be true, however, that we live in the
richest, healthiest and most exciting time in history.
Most of the illnesses, dangers and threats that harmed our
grandparents are totally eliminated. We are free to
travel, to learn, and to try. For the most part, we can be
as productive, as happy and as joyful as we choose to be.
I grew up in farm country and I remember when it was common
to see a man without fingers or missing an arm. Some had
lost limbs in war, but many had been injured on farm
equipment or in factories. Fortunately, those things don't
happen so often any more. And yet, we expose ourselves to
crisis and warnings and worry as if flood or famine were
just around the corner.
Don't do that to yourself!
Most of us will live long and prosperous lives. We will
build businesses and visit exciting places. Most of us
will see our children do things, meet people, solve
problems, travel and enjoy a world we can barely imagine.
We are free to read the best literature and watch the best
movies ever made. We can visit museums, go anyplace on
earth, and even watch football on a big-screen TV! What an
incredible age!
So, don't blow it. Choose optimism, joy and hope. Have
some fun, make a call, hug a child, enjoy a sunrise, go for
a walk, take a friend out for dessert.
This season, celebrate your life and remember the
opportunities that lie ahead. Get a calendar and plan to
make 2018 your BEST year ever!

No comments: