Friday, April 19, 2019

SETTLE FOR EXCELLENCE IN ALL THINGS

There are two famous recommendations that I don't believe in. They are supposed to lead to the "good life" but I don't think they work. The first is "all things in moderation" and the second is the quest for "perfection."
Regarding moderation, I much prefer the quote from May West that "too much of a good thing is just right." What a great attitude!
I deserve LOTS of great things in my life! I deserve all the health, joy, love, great memories, passion and fulfillment I can get! Moderation? I don’t think so.
Although, I have noticed that moderation in some things may be a good thing. Moderation in drinking, for instance, seems to reduce hangovers, accidents, addiction, and all sorts of embarrassing moments. Moderating my consumption of chips, dip and beer seems to be a good thing. (Super Bowl Sunday may be a universal exception – I'm still checking data on that one.)
Moderating my spending to match my income seems to be a good thing.
But when it comes to the things that make life worth-while, I HATE moderation! Why would I settle for a "little" happiness when the world seems designed to fill my life with joy?! Why would I work like a slave, when wealth and freedom and love are all around me? Sure, I work to earn money (and to make my unique contribution), but I'd much rather practice "moderation" in work and "let her rip" when it comes to joy and personal development!
I don't believe in "moderation in all things." Be very, very careful about the things you "practice in moderation!"
Similarly, trying to make life "perfect" is a trap. Very few things in life are "perfect" because life is always changing. If it was perfect a moment ago, it may already be deteriorating or evolving into something new. Or my tastes may have changed – perhaps I've outgrown it – and I'm no longer satisfied. Very few things in life are "perfect."
More importantly, since we aren't perfect, very few of the things we do are perfect. There's a wonderful quote about Howard Hughes that for all his genius and wealth, "he sought a perfection that assured failure."
Don't do that to yourself!
Instead, settle for excellence. Strive for a GREAT life, not a perfect one. Trouble happens. Mistakes happen. Bad luck and misfortune, and yes, even tragedy happens, but good things happen, too. Excellence and wisdom, love and joy never go out of style. We never outgrow our desire for love, celebration, achievement, and personal growth.
I am totally convinced it is possible to live a World Class Life™! In fact, I believe a life that is truly “World Class” is the MINIMUM we should expect of ourselves. Who wants to settle for average or mediocre? Who would intentionally develop only part of their potential, use only some of their talent, or part of their creativity? No one would do that! Strive for excellence in all things!

No comments: