Monday, November 6, 2023

GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS ARE CALLING ON PRIVATE SECTOR 'TO STEP UP' TO FEND OFF A.I.'S RISKS

The United States is launching an artificial intelligence safety institute as the Biden administration works to diminish the "dangerous capabilities" of the evolving technology.

On Wednesday, Vice President Kamala Harris and Secretary of Commerce Gina Raimondo both spoke about the importance of the new institute, along with unveiling other safety measures the U.S. will deploy, at an A.I. Safety Summit in the United Kingdom.

As new A.I. guardrails are unveiled, officials made it clear on Wednesday that the government doesn't plan to tackle A.I. on its own. 

"We can't do it alone, the private sector must step up," Raimondo said in her Wednesday speech.

The new A.I. safety institute will deploy a framework filled with tools and best practices to evaluate, and clamp down on, risks posed by A.I. That also includes providing guidance that regulators may consider when they're inking their own rules, especially when it comes to tagging A.I. generated content, preventing A.I. algorithms from discrimination, and bringing in privacy measures.

Notably for entrepreneurs, the institute will also serve as "a driver of the future workforce for safe and trusted A.I.," according to a Wednesday fact sheet from the White House.

The National Institute of Standards and Technology, a U.S. government agency focused on promoting domestic innovation, has been tasked with leading the federal government's A.I. safety efforts. 

Harris also announced that the U.S. is soliciting comments from the public on its policy guidance with regard to how the federal government should incorporate A.I. The guidance would direct federal agencies to carry out A.I. impact assessments within their own departments. 

Other actions announced on Wednesday include identifying and blocking A.I. robocalls, propping up an international standard to watermark A.I.-generated content, and creating a pledge for responsible usage of A.I.

Wednesday's announcement arrives two days after President Joe Biden signed a first-of-its-kind executive order to regulate artificial intelligence, which, among other things, will require A.I. companies creating powerful systems to share their safety test results with the federal government.

No comments: