Friday, October 23, 2009

CUSTOMER LOYALTY OR RAVING FANS?

This past Wednesday I interrupted my schedule, pulled off a busy street, drove around the block and went back to see if my eyes were playing tricks on me. I had glimpsed a small sidewalk sign with the name of a company I thought was out of business. I pulled into a busy shopping mall, drove around, and finally spotted the business. They were open and I immediately found a parking spot, got out, walked over and bought a sandwich.
Yup. All that for a chicken sandwich.
But, you see, it's no ordinary sandwich. It's a "Cart de Frisco" chicken sandwich and it's fantastic. It's got toppings and sauces that drip all over my hands and on my shirt. It's hot and spicy and gives me heartburn. It's an awful mess of a sandwich, but it's served with flair, humor and enthusiasm, and like thousands of my fellow Eugerians, I'm hopelessly addicted.
Twenty years ago, a Cambodian refugee came to Eugene with nothing. But he had this idea for a spicy chicken sandwich, which is rumored to have over 50 ingredients crowded onto a Kaiser bun. He didn't have any money for a restaurant, so he sold them from a cart on the sidewalk and when people worked downtown, it was not unusual to see a dozen people lined up, waiting for a sandwich in the Oregon rain.
Do people wait in the rain to do business with you? This guy serves his sandwiches with a smile and with "attitude." He makes people laugh, he makes you glad to do business with him. It's a "good day" when I'm "lucky enough" to spend a few dollars for his sandwich.
Wednesday, I learned that he had been ill and that's why his carts had disappeared for a while, but now he's back and once again, people are lined up for his chicken sandwiches.
I've never seen any advertising for his little business. But now he drives a Cadillac and he's done quite well for himself. Another "over-night sensation!"
His cute little cart, his delicious sandwich, and his attitude of happiness and optimism have created thousands of raving fans here in Eugene. Can you say that about your business?
Create raving fans. They, in turn, will make you rich.

No comments: