Monday, November 29, 2010

THE BUSINESS CLIMATE OF 2010, PLANNING FOR 2011.

We are nearing the end of 2010 and one of the most important
(and profitable) investments you can make is to review the
past few months very, very carefully.
To an amazing degree, we humans are creatures of habit. We are
great examples of Newton's law that, "a body set in motion
tends to remain in motion." We tend to plunge eagerly ahead,
repeating yesterday's mistakes and failing to learn from
experience. Yes, we take great pride in the fact that we "can"
learn, but my observation is that we rarely do.
We tend to assume that what worked last year will continue to
work next year. We know intellectually that we should be
innovative, creative and original, but in our daily work it's
easy to follow old habits, whether they still work or not.
When Jack Welch was the head of General Electric, he insisted
that half the company's profits come from products and
services that were less than five years old. Why? Because he
knew that yesterday's methods won’t fit tomorrow's world.
Take time -- several hours if necessary -- to review the
following questions:
1. What worked best last year? What surprised me, inspired me
or taught me something new for my work or business?
2. What did not work, or is working less and less well? What
was less profitable or less effective than I expected? What
should I drop altogether in the new year?
3. What's new in my field? What are my colleagues doing that I
should apply to my business?
One of the absolute BEST things any professional,
business owner or manager can do is invest in seminars
and conferences. The chance to get away and "see the forest
for the trees" is incredibly valuable. Conferences generate
new perspectives, and new ideas create vast new opportunities!
Invest in yourself!

No comments: