Friday, April 1, 2011

CUSTOMER LOVE

Southwest Airlines' Mission statement reads: "The mission of Southwest Airlines is dedication to the highest quality of Customer Service delivered with a Sense of Warmth, Friendliness, Individual Pride and Company Spirit." Nothing too unusual about that, except that it doesn't mention planes. Southwest, more than any company I know, has created a wonderful service culture by hiring nice people who like to have fun; fun with each other, and, fun with their customers. Not long ago, I flew Southwest and the flight attendant announced, "I'm pleased to say we have a 99-year-old gentleman on board today. He's celebrating his birthday and this is the first time he's every flown." We, as you might imagine a light round of applause broke out. Then she said, "On the way out stop by the cockpit and wish him happy birthday." The cabin exploded with laughter. Dan Zadra, the president of Compendium, is a friend of mine. He has his own theory about Southwest that came straight from Sheila, a flight attendant he met on a trip from Seattle to Phoenix. Dan watched Sheila move with boundless energy to calm a crying child, plump an old man's pillow, trade jokes with passengers, and answer questions in English, Spanish, and Japanese. At one point, Sheila spilled an apron full of pretzels in the aisle and Dan instinctively moved to help her. She said, "That's okay, Dan, it's my turn." Dan then said, "How did you know my name, and what do you mean it's your turn? I haven't done anything yet." Sheila smiled and answered, "I saw your name when I took your ticket. I always try to remember my passengers' names. It's polite. And taking turns is something I live by. I believe we all take turns serving each other in life. Right now, it's my turn to serve you, and I want you to really enjoy yourself on my flight. Someday, you may have the chance to serve me or my daughter or my dad. And when it's your turn I'm sure you'll do a great job." There is a great quote that says "laughter is the fastest way to the heart." How true it is. And, whenever we can find ways to have fun with our customers - to make them smile or laugh - we can create moments they won't forget. Just like I will never forget the moment the flight attendant told the story about the 99-year-old man, and Dan will never forget his "Southwest moment" with Sheila. Tom Asacker, business author and speaker, said, "People will forget what you say, but they will never forget how you make them feel." The question we always need to ask is, "How am I making my customers feel?" The bottom line according to Tom is this, "The really hard stuff is the soft stuff." It's the feelings of your customers and employees. Because in the end, as Southwest Airlines knows, that is the real competitive advantage. Today, I'm pleased to offer Customer Love for just $10 US, regularly $15.95 US. As an added bonus, the first 1,000 customers will receive a free autographed copy with your purchase of $28 US or more. This offer is only good through today, so don't miss your chance to get Customer Love now!

No comments: