Wednesday, March 19, 2014

BETTER QUESTIONS GET BETTER RESULTS

Everyone had has heard the phrase, "if you want better
answers, start with better questions." Too often we dismiss
it as a clich� but one of the most important services I
provide for my clients is to help them ask better, more
powerful, more solution-focused questions.
What are your most important projects? What one thing, more
than all the others, will make a real and lasting
difference? What should you focus on today? What can you do
right NOW to move forward?
Most of the time, most of us ask really dumb questions. I
don't mean to be insulting, and I certainly include myself
as frequently falling into the trap of asking really dumb
questions. This week, for example, I caught myself asking,
"Do I have to?" and the really mature, "Why me!?" I don't
do that very often, and I'm always embarrassed when I catch
myself, but it happens. The key to success is to catch
yourself and replace dumb questions with better ones!
To a huge degree, the quality of our results equals the
quality of our questions, and there is no escape. If you
want to achieve more, have more, or be and do more, the
quickest and surest route to success is asking better
questions!
Practice asking yourself empowering questions. Write them
on cards or put a list on your computer, but insist that
everyday you will ask the BEST questions you can! Here are
some of the questions I have on a list above my desk:
What am I grateful for in this situation?
What can I learn from this?
Who could help or advise me? Who has the answers I need?
How can I profit from this? What can I learn?
What will move me forward today?
What's the most important thing I can do today?
And then, of course there is the pesky truth that once you
have asked good questions, you must be honest about the
answers and take action! Once they have asked and answered
powerful questions, high achievers immediately assemble the
tools, time and energy to create the results they desire!
They take action and leave nothing to chance. If there are
projects they wish to accomplish, they organize around
those outcomes. If necessary, they cancel appointments or
skip meetings, they move money into the right accounts, and
adjust their schedules so their most important projects get
their best efforts of the day.
Unfortunately, I notice is that many people do exactly the
reverse.
The errands, tasks, and "stuff" of the day get their best
energy. Money goes to bills and "necessities." Time goes to
work and friends and daily have-to's, and only what's left
over is available for their goals. No wonder they spend
their lives caught in the thick of thin things!
How about you?  Too many of us are pursuing our most
important goals with the “left-overs” of life!
This week, I suggest three key steps:
1.  Thoughtfully review your most important goals and the
most important projects on your dream list. What's on your
list of most important things?
2.  Ask yourself empowering questions about what's
possible. What will move you forward? Who will help you?
Where can you start? What's the next step?
3.  Allocate resources so your most important projects get
your best efforts. Do the most important things first! Do
them when you are awake, focused and eager. Arrange you
budget so there is enough money, time, space and energy to
achieve your goals. First things deserve your very best!

No comments: