Friday, July 25, 2014

WHERE THE ACORNS ARE?

About mid-morning, I turned on the Internet
to learn a Malaysian jet was shot down over
Ukraine. The pictures were vivid and the reporters had
anxious voices. Then, as I tried to absorb that tragedy,
about 11:00 my time, Israel invaded the Gaza Strip.
Reporters broke in to show flares in the night sky and
explosions on the ground. They wore flak jackets and
helmets and sounded frightened as they gave blow-by-blow
details, "up close and personal," in my own living room.
I could have sworn it was just yesterday we were on edge
about fighting in Syria, Iraq and kidnapped girls in
Nigeria. Or, maybe it was the crisis on the Texas border,
problems with the Veterans Administration or global
warming. Something awful like that.
So which is it? War and rumors of war. Death and
destruction falling from the sky. Conflict, scandal, crisis
and turmoil? Or, as Neil Armstrong once reported from the
surface of the moon, am I writing from Tranquility Base?
I often quote the line from Anais Nin, that "We don't see
life as it is, we see life as we are." It gives me comfort
and reminds me I am responsible for the quality of my life.
Based on the news, the world is in trouble. People are
dying. We seem to be violent creatures with endlessly
inventive ways to destroy each other. But, if I watch the
squirrel scurrying through my Oak trees, life is focused,
acrobatic, industrious and a tad humorous. Or, judging by
Tucker on the chair next to me, life is relaxed and
content, dreaming of tennis balls and trips to the park.
Which is it? Is your glass half-full or half-empty?
As I was driving this week, I half-heard Glenn Beck on the
radio. I wasn't paying much attention so I may not remember
this correctly, but he said something about turning away
from the news and politics and conflict. He described his
family, his home and ranch, and the work he does, and I
believe he talked about turning away from the world "out
there" to focus on the things that bring him joy.
While I didn't pay enough attention at the time, I've
pondered his words ever since.
Each of us has a life to live. It is ours, and only ours.
No one can live it for us, and we cannot live anyone else's
life for them. It is up to me to find, build and live the
life I want, or go to my grave wondering what "might have
been."
There are a thousand--perhaps millions!--of reasons to
procrastinate. "They" won't understand or approve. We might
make mistakes. We could get hurt. We don't--and never will-
-know enough. I remember my father saying, "When you
don't want to do something, any excuse is good enough."
But little kids know better. They want what they want. If
they want a cookie, they'll find a way! If they do not want
to go to bed or eat their veggies, I can pretty much
guarantee the adults are going to lose that argument. It's
only as we grow up that we lose that courage and wisdom and
independence. We learn to "go along to get along."
There are lots of legitimate, serious-sounding reasons to
hold yourself in check. The economy is not good. There are
wars, uncertainty, turmoil and conflict. Your Aunt or your
neighbor, perhaps your spouse will disapprove. We all have
our reasons for holding back. For playing safe and small.
But in each of us there is this thing, this spirit, that
longs to fly. It may be a "still, small voice" that calls
to us, or it may be a yearning in the breast, or a dream in
the early morning hours. Like a kid, it wants what it
wants.
Listen to that voice! That squirrel in my Oaks doesn't know
how high he is or that he should be very, very afraid. He
goes for the acorns! I think Anais Nin was right, "We don't
see the world the way it is, we see the world the way we
are." I'm recommitting to be more of a squirrel, to go out
to the very tips of the branches, where the fat, succulent
acorns are. And what I feast I shall have!
I invite you to join me. Where the acorns are.

No comments: