Monday, August 25, 2014

THE NECESSARY PIECES FOR SUCCESS

I've always tried to write about the pursuit of "success"
as a holistic, balanced concept. To me, success is that
mystical, ever-changing mix  of "enough" money and lots of
toys, a bit of respect and recognition, good health and
healthy relationships, mixed with enough meaningful work to
keep me challenged without interfering with my hobbies and
play-time. I think of success as a moving and very personal
"target." And I like to think that, from time to time, I've
had more than a few glorious glimpses of the real thing!
Recently, we've focused on a Summer of Success, and now
we're moving into a 90-day opportunity to Fall Forward.
I've always liked an incremental model for achieving big
goals. Most of the "big" things I've tried to do over the
years seemed to either elude me, or consume me. In trying
to do "big" things, I'd get so caught-up in the work that
friends, play, family time and even my health took a back-
seat. Not good!
On the other hand, playing small never excited me. Small
tasks and little dreams always seemed like "house-keeping"
or chores that I should take care of "someday when I have
free time." They didn't inspire me. And I got good at
procrastination.
In my experience over the years, I've learned that success requires very
specific kinds of goals, goals that are big enough to
challenge the imagination, important enough to lift the
spirit, and goals that have lots of small, practical
stepping-stones. I've learned that quitting time Friday
afternoon takes on a whole new richness if I've actually
gotten something important done that week!
And in addition to the small stepping-stones, success
requires slightly bigger steps that can be done this month,
this summer or by my birthday. Some things can't be done by
5:00 o'clock Friday, but they can be done in six weeks or
in 90 days. The story says God created the universe in six
days. I'm not nearly that good, but once, 
I learned that you actually can move a small mountain in
about ten weeks, and I thought that was a pretty good
start.
If you want to change your life, set goals that are big
enough to excite you. Have adequate, meaningful and
specific REASONS to get it done. Then, break it into do-
able pieces, and get to work. Let's get something done by
5:00 o'clock Friday! And let's see really significant
progress by December.
Those are the "big" keys to success that I've learned in
the past few decades. I pass them along in the hope they'll
serve you as well as they've served me.
And here's another piece: Success is built on optimism.
Success requires an incredible, unshakeable belief that you
can and will achieve your stated outcome. I'm concerned
that optimism may be in short supply right now. Whether
it's the economy, world chaos, or too many distractions, my
friends and clients don't seem as optimistic and determined
as they were a few years ago.
Whatever the reason, I've noted that the "do-ers" retain an
extraordinary faith that they can and will achieve their
goals. You should, too.
And lastly, success always requires a plan and follow-
through. Whether the goal is personal or professional,
world-changing or a simple family outing, you'll need a
plan or budget, and the ability to get up in the morning,
get to work, and stick-to-it all day long. I think most
everyone knows that, but it bears repeating. We all get
lazy, distracted or stressed and we forget. Success
requires that we--not someone else or "luck" or chance but
YOU--change things. You have to build something, move the
furniture, change your habits, or start something!
There's no way around that part. The BIG pieces for success
are a clear and compelling goal, paired with clear and
compelling reasons why you MUST achieve it, and specific
stepping-stones to get where you want to go. Unquenchable
optimism provides the fire; a good plan and daily follow-
through get you to your destination.
At least, that's what I've observed over the years. I
recommend it!

No comments: