Wednesday, August 5, 2015

THE USPS OR UPS?

Dr Philip Humbert shared this "This week I had a fascinating comparison between customer
service at my local Post Office and United Parcel Service
(UPS).
I was waiting in line at the Post Office when a woman ahead
of me stepped up to mail a package. The person at the
counter began a conversation about stamps and different
classes of service, then left to have her supervisor
explain the various options. In the meantime, those of us
in line waited.
When the supervisor came out, the three of them discussed
her shipping options and then continued talking about
collecting stamps and how postage rates have increased over
the years. Those of us in line, now over a dozen people,
continued to wait. We waited over ten minutes while they
compared notes about stamp collecting.
On the way back to my office, I stopped by the UPS office
to ask about having them ship the packages we send every
week. After waiting about 15 seconds, a woman asked how she
could help, answered my questions, gave me some forms, and
we now do all our shipping with UPS.
No more going to the Post Office--UPS comes to us! No more
waiting in line--UPS takes care of the paperwork. No more
postage--UPS bills us monthly!
My point is not to sing the praises of UPS (we'll see how
well they keep their promises), but to note the comparison
in attitudes and customer service.
At the Post Office I felt my business was taken for granted
and that I was expected to wait until they got around to
me. At UPS, I felt my business was valued, that I was
appreciated as a customer and that people were eager to
serve me. What a difference!
They say word of mouth is the best advertising and that the
average person will tell about 16 people when they have a
particularly good (or bad) experience with your business.
Now, I've just shared my story with about 40,000 of my best
friends!
Make sure the stories that leave your place of business are
stories you'll be proud to have circulate in your
community!

No comments: