Friday, February 2, 2018

IS SUCCESS IN YOUR LIST?

In the movie, "Schindler's List", about Oscar Schindler's
heroic effort to save thousands of Jews from the Nazis
during World War II, there is a line that says, "the list
is life". Any person whose name was on the list, was
saved. Their value and contribution were recognized. They
were safe.
Many people have discovered the value and contribution of a
daily "to do" list. By organizing and writing down your
daily tasks, you achieve far greater productivity and
success. There is no question. A daily "To Do" list is
vital for your success.
But there is an even more profound List you need to know
about. It's an idea that has simplified my life, clarified
my goals, organized my thinking, enhanced my health, made
me money, and enriched my life. And, it has nothing
whatever to do with a list of daily errands or minor
projects.
I'm talking about a "Daily List". My current list has 10
items on it, but over the years it has varied between six
and twelve items that I am committed to doing every single
day. The list keeps me focused, reminds me of my
priorities, and organizes my day every morning.
I have a copy of my current list on nice card-stock on my
bathroom mirror, another copy scrawled on my desk-blotter,
and a copy taped to the dash of my truck. The point is
that I see the list often, in various formats, but always
with the same reminder: First Things First!
Tony Robbins says that most of us "major in minor things",
and it's true. We get caught in our daily chores, our
daily projects and errands. We focus on the trivial
distractions of life, and lose ourselves in the process.
Only rarely do we think about who we are, what we value,
and where we are going. Only rarely does life invite us to
slow down, think about the big picture, design our lives,
and be certain our choices actually reflect our deepest values.
My Daily List is designed to do precisely that. Every few
months, I take an afternoon to re-think and review where
I'm going. I scan my goals, and my recent past, to see if
they match. Then, I look for a handful of daily disciplines
that will take me in the direction I want to go. I write
them down, make a few copies, and post them where I will
see - and READ - them every day. The point is to be
CERTAIN that I am reminded of the big picture every single day.

Here's my current list - not that you should copy it, but
as an example:

1. Meditate and journal
2. Exercise, stretch, eat well and floss
3. Read, learn, grow - personal development comes first
4. Write, create & produce value-added stuff
5. Enhance the Romance (marriage enrichment)
6. Maintain the nest (pick-up, fix-up, neatness counts)
7. Expand my network; strengthen my community
8. Serve my customers
9. Monitor, maintain and grow the biz
10. Dream, clarify, plan and commit to my preferred future

What items are on, or should be on, your Daily List?
A short list placed where you'll see it often, in formats
that will catch your eye and make you smile and remind you
to focus on your most important items is powerful. And,
after a while, if you notice you aren't reading it any
more, change it! Re-word it, re-write it, up-date it so
it's current and the language again has the power to
energize your day.
Nothing is more important to your ultimate success than
living your life, and spending each day, the way you truly
want to. Success is achieved not by doing extraordinary
things, but by doing ordinary things extraordinarily well,
day by day, every day. What's on your Daily List?

No comments: