Monday, February 26, 2018

THE KEY TOOLS OF SUPER-ACHIEVERS

About 100 years ago, Mark Twain observed that "the
difference between the right word and almost the right word
is the difference between lightening and the lightening
bug," and that applies to the tools we use every day.
High achievers invest in their education, and in their
resources. They have a great coach and support team, and
they keep their tools "sharp" all the time. And, what
intrigues me, is how little it costs to have the best. In
fact, as the old saying goes, I don't think it costs
anything at all - it pays to have great tools!
What exactly are the high-quality tools winner use?
Some, of course, are expensive and specialized for their
particular task or profession. Winners invest in
education and skill-development, and they invest in superior
offices, new equipment and so forth. But often the tools
of highly effective people are amazingly simple, and
virtually free. Here are some examples:
1. A notebook of written goals. Winners use a notebook,
ring-binder or a simple document on their computers to
identify their most important objectives. They know where
they are going. They know their "outcomes" in advance and
it only requires a piece of paper and a few hours' time.
2. A calendar. Personally, I prefer year-at-a-glance wall
calendars where we color in the important events ahead of
time. For ourselves, we color in our birthdays and
anniversary, vacations and family times. We use a
different color for business trips and other commitments.
It's wonderfully helpful to see the ebb-and-flow of a year
and to plan accordingly.
3. A daily plan. I use little 3x5 cards. My assistant
uses her electronic planner, and there are lots of systems
on the market, but the KEY is to plan each day in advance,
selecting your priorities and doing the most important
things first. High achievers plan each day the night
before, or first thing in the morning. They know the value
of a day, and never leave it to chance.
4. A support team. Whether you have a business partner, a
professional coach, or a "master-mind group", winners have
advisors to keep them on track and encourage them.
President Roosevelt called it his "kitchen cabinet"
(separate from the official Cabinet officers) and they
helped him set his course.
5. Thinking time. High achievers schedule time to plan,
to brain-storm and review. They take time to meditate or
journal. High achievers always have a system to get
perspective and review their course. Bill Gates takes
a week every three months to dream and plan.
6. Great equipment. Mainly, I'm talking about your
personal computer, but the principle applies to whatever
equipment you use. I am frequently amazed at the bright,
ambitious winners who contact me for coaching and in our
interview I learn that they "can't afford" a new computer,
a good laptop, or time to master the software they already
have! Would you hire a carpenter with a rusty saw or a
broken hammer? Get and use good tools!
I'll close with another personal story. My favorite
exercise has always been walking and jogging, and I still
remember, almost 30 years ago, when I bought my first pair
of specialized running shoes. I had no idea shoes could
make such a difference! Instantly, my legs stopped aching,
I ran further and faster, and I was astonished! In the
store they seemed expensive; the first morning, within a
block, I knew they were a bargain! Good tools make all the
difference.

No comments: