Saturday, October 13, 2018

WHAT IS YOUR GREAT STRATEGY?

Your "strategy" is simply the plan or steps, or blueprint,
you will use to achieve your goals. The biggest problem I
see as a coach is that most people have wonderful goals but
match them with a terrible strategy! Let's talk about that.
The talk-show host, Clark Howard, quoted a survey
that found almost 20% of Americans feel the "only way to
achieve financial security is by winning a state lottery."
As Clark points out, that is a terrible strategy because
it's flawed on so many levels.
First, you can't win the lottery! Why would anyone play a
game that is scientifically designed to make sure that over
the long-run, you CAN'T win?! And yet gamblers the world
over keep right on playing. (Isn't human behavior
fascinating?)
Secondly, there are so many other strategies that actually
work! Saving ten-percent of your income and investing in
boring old mutual funds will work. Improving your skills
and increasing your income will work. Starting a small
business often works. There are literally millions of
opportunities to become wealthy and they are all around us.
So, what's your strategy for financial independence? Is it
working?
Or, here's another example: Shedding those extra pounds.
The most common strategies I see are: (1) eating less, (2)
eating differently, (3) exercising more, or (4) a
combination of the first three. Any of these strategies
will work, although dieting seems to have the lowest long-
term success. The key question is simply, what is YOUR
strategy for achieving your goal?
Most IMPACT readers know to write down their most
important goals. We have goal-setting books and seminars
and every business focuses on them. Unfortunately, fewer people
follow-up by defining an efficient and effective strategy
for success.
For each of your critical goals, ask yourself these
questions:
1. How have other people done what I want to do?
2. What beliefs, skills and tools did they use? Do I have
(or can I get access to) similar beliefs, skills and tools?
3. Who will help me along the way? Do I have a MasterMind
Alliance to support me?
4. Given my current situation, what three steps can I take
today? How can I get started?
You may want to think about the most difficult problem
you'll face and make plans to over-come it. You may need to
acquire capital or other resources. How will you do that?
Let me repeat, many people have wonderful goals but use
ineffective strategies to pursue them. I like the saying
that "hope is not a strategy," and similarly, I observe
that counting on "making a killing" or waiting for "luck"
to come your way is rarely effective.
Take time to develop an elegant strategy. Get a coach or
mentor to show you the way. Use a map, or design a
blueprint. Whatever you call it (I sometimes use the term,
"recipe") figure out how you will get from where you are to
where you want to be a year from now. Then, day by day,
work your plan. I know of no other reliable way to
transform your life.

No comments: