Friday, May 24, 2019

READING FOR GREATNESS

My father taught me to read. I suppose my first grade
teachers taught me my A-B-C's, but my father taught me the
joys and possibilities of reading, and I've been at it ever
since. Reading is the key to insight, understanding and
ultimately, performance.
A couple of years ago, Michael Angier, wrote an
article titled, "Leaders are Readers" and he talked about
the necessity of reading. Greatness in any field is based
on a willingness to read well, widely, and much. Whether in
business or in parenting, in our hobbies or in romance, we
do not have time to learn every skill by chance! Reading is
NOT a luxury; it is the most efficient path to life's
greatest achievements!
Others have gone before us, and they left a trail. Whether
the challenge is communicating with a rebellious teenager,
writing a screen-play or building a business, we impoverish
ourselves if we refuse to learn the lessons, mistakes and
discoveries of others.
This summer I am working my way through Roy Jenkin's
massive biography of Winston Churchill and this week I
found a HUGE key to his greatness, courage, eloquence and
wisdom. As a young man, he certainly did not impress those
around him as holding the potential for genius, so where
did he get it?
He was educated in England's private school system and went
into the Army afterward. Between the ages of 18 and 22, he
was in India, was involved in three military campaigns, and
became an expert polo player. During this time, he decided
that he was not adequately prepared him for the future he
envisioned, and he decided to do something about it.
In his "spare time" he read Gibbon's eight-volume set, "The
Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire" and Macaulay's twelve-
volume history of England. Later, he had his mother send
him 27 volumes of Parliamentary debates so he could study
them line by line - a massive exercise that helped him
enormously later in his career. At one point he wrote to
his mother that his quota was "Fifty pages of Macaulay and
25 of Gibbon every day."
During that same period he also wrote histories of two
British military campaigns and a novel!
While every one knows about his later accomplishments, I
had not known or appreciated his willingness to PREPARE FOR
GREATNESS. That, I believe, is the critical missing piece.
When Lee Iococca was turning Chrysler Corporation around, I
heard him say he read two books on business every week.
Similarly, in a Seminary, the great Presbyterian
preacher, Bruce Thieleman, insisted that pupil read at least
two books a week if they were serious about meeting the needs
of the congregations.
I admit, I have failed on that count. Like most of us, I
claim that I am "too busy" to read that much. But reading,
perhaps more than any other activity, has enlarged my life,
enriched my purse, and expanded my world.
"Those who do not read are no better off than those who
cannot read", and I would go a step further to argue that
those who refuse to make time for reading are tragically
poor, for they are needlessly holding themselves back.
Brian Tracy argues that reading a few minutes each morning,
on your lunch break or before bed is THE key to success in
any field, and I agree.
Winston Churchill read. While a young man, in the Army, in
the midst of military campaigns, he read an enormous amount
of material, and the investment served him (and the world)
very well indeed. This week, pick a book. Read!

No comments: