Monday, May 18, 2015

BRANDING AT 50 PACES

What color shirt does Tiger Woods wear almost every Sunday?
Golfers around the world know this one: RED!
Now, here's a more obscure test for older golfers:  What
color did Gary Player wear almost every weekend? Answer:
For 30 years, Gary Player was known for his black shirts
and slacks.
Why is that important? Because branding makes a difference!
Here's a true story. Recently, Philip Humbert says "I needed a small gift to
repay a favor from a friend, who I know enjoys cigars. I
asked another friend for a recommendation and instead of
giving me a name, Bill Honsowetz walked me across the
parking lot to his car and gave me two beautiful cigars. I
ask him why and his response was that giving a good cigar
(for prospects who enjoy such things) is part of his
marketing and branding program.
Well. I'd never heard anything quite like that, but I gave
the cigars to Jeff and to my surprise, he was delighted and
immediately asked me where I got them. I told him the
story. Apparently Jeff called Bill and within two weeks, he
had a new business client. Hmmm….
The point is NOT about cigars, folks!
A good friend and coaching colleague is known for her
bright red outfits and big, floppy red hats. At any
coaching convention, you can spot her across the hotel
lobby at 50 paces. It's memorable, tasteful, and
distinctive.
For the past several years, when I lead corporate
workshops, I've worn a "uniform" of dress slacks and a nice
white golf shirt with my logo and a slogan tastefully
embroidered on the breast. I've become known for it, and
when I travel, it certainly keeps packing to a minimum!
The point is this: Whatever your profession or role, if you
can develop a distinctive and appropriate "uniform," it
will dramatically increase your brand memory and
recognition. I'm not sure about the cigars, but everyone
knows the Golden Arches, right? Think about it.

No comments: