Wednesday, May 13, 2015

DARING GREATLY IN THIS PRESENT AGE

About 2500 years ago, Socrates observed that "we become
what we think about all day long." I've been thinking about
that.
In the books about the Depression
and the Dust Bowl of the 1930's. People were literally
starving. Millions of prosperous farmers, tradespeople and
merchants were suddenly homeless, wandering the American
West in beat-up cars and living in shanty-towns called
Hoovervilles. People were desperate for work, often slaving
all day for pennies to feed their family at night.
The American classic, Walden, by
Henry Thoreau. In many ways he was the poorest person in
Concord, poorer even than the Irish immigrants living in
hovels by the railroad. And yet he considered himself rich.
If his little cabin burned to the ground, he could re-build
in a few days. He fed himself by hoeing beans and raising
corn, and nourished his soul on books and conversation. He
considered himself among the most blessed of people and
wondered that so many people live "such mean and tortured
lives."
"We become what we think about all day long."
I've been noticing how afraid most of us are. I've been
noticing the news and advertising around me, the tone of my
conversations, and the topics we discuss. Hundreds of times
a day, I'm warned about some danger.
Daily, we are warned about contamination in our food,
corruption in our politics, or threats to our nation.
Today, I've heard stories about two plane crashes and a
bank robbery and, while they happened far away, the
cumulative effect causes me to live with slightly more fear
than I would otherwise.
In Walden, Thoreau makes the comment that most news is
merely gossip. He notes that if we've heard of one flood or
railroad disaster or murder, we understand the concept and
"need never read of another." That makes some sense to me.
While the internet and the 24-hours news cycle have brought
many benefits, I suspect they have also increased our fear.
I've often joked that for all the stories of terror and
bombs and hate, it's been a long time since anyone shot up
my neighborhood or bombed my local grocery store. To
paraphrase Will Rogers, my life has been filled with many
awful things, "most of which never happened."
My point is that I think we might hope and dare more than
we do.
I read that surveys show that many people are afraid to
start or expand a business, to hire new people, or to
pursue their dreams. But I'm not clear exactly how national
statistics make any difference in my personal life. If I
have the resources, if I have the skills, if I have the
passion, does it really matter what the bankers in New York
or London are doing? Does it really matter that the Middle
East is in turmoil or that Republicans and Democrats
disagree on almost everything?
Around the margins, perhaps. Perhaps tax or interest rates,
or politics can make a small difference in the future, but
if I want to go camping or write a novel, or get married or
start a business or change my diet, how much does anything
"out there" really matter? I would suggest, "not much."
I agree with Thoreau. I think we could live bigger and
nobler lives if we wished. I think we could read better
books, make love more often, rest on quiet Saturday
mornings, or take the kids to the park, and the "rain in
Spain" would not matter one little bit.
"We become what we think about all day long."
I challenge you to dream bigger and better dreams, and to
act with greater courage. Live the life you truly want and
leave the small thinking, the fear and hesitancy to others.
Resolve to do one thing that makes you happy, and do it
today! Laugh more. Love more. Have more fun and live with
more daring! Make more mischief, be outrageous, be who you
truly are! Be fearless and "go for it!"
This is your life. Refuse to live in fear.

No comments: