Wednesday, September 2, 2015

LEARNED ANYTHING NEW?

We constantly hear that we live in the information age and
that what you know and who you know are the twin paths to
success. I believe that, and yet I'm constantly amazed at
how little responsibility people take for up-grading their
skills.
This week, I learned that the garage where I take my car
requires their employees to spend more hours (and more 
money per year on continuing education than most states
require for doctors, lawyers, or other professionals. Think
about that the next time you take your car in for repairs—
or the next time you talk with your physician!
I try to "practice what I preach" and this week I'll
spend 3 days with friends and colleagues to learn more
about doing business online. We'll look at best practices
for marketing, for attracting traffic to our websites, and
for cross-promoting each other. We'll have lots of time
for networking and fun, but the key is that twice a year,
we focus on making our businesses better, smarter and more
profitable.
Periodically I hear frightening accounts of how few books
the average person reads, or how few classes they take
after they leave school. I remember once hearing a friend
say that if her employer wanted her to get more education,
"they’ll have to pay me for it." What a tragic attitude!

Increasingly the keys to success are being able to do more,
and do it quicker and better than your competition, and
most of the time that means KNOWING more than the next
person. It means knowing more about language and culture,
knowing more about your industry and having better
contacts. It means knowing HOW to learn, and using that
knowledge to your advantage.
As Brian Tracy has said for years, read the books. Attend
the seminars. Take the classes and expand your world. Jim
Rohn puts it this way: "Work harder on yourself than you do
on your job."
To "work less and make more" you've got to know more than
your competitors. This week, sign up for at least one
seminar. Check a book out of the library. Sow the seeds for
your future.

No comments: