Wednesday, September 23, 2015

OUR DAILY JUMP-START

Several weeks ago, I left the lights on in my SUV attending
a meeting and afterward I needed a "jump start" to
get home. Fortunately, a friend was parked next to me, we
both had jumper cables in our vehicles, and it only took a
moment to get started and be on my way.
If only the "dead batteries" in other areas of life could
be "jump started" as easily!
We all have days, or weeks, and sometimes longer periods
where we just can't "get going." How many of us joke about
needing our cup of coffee to start the day? Or our morning
run? But sometimes we have goals or projects that are truly
important to us, and yet we don't do them. We
procrastinate. We sigh or shrug our shoulders, we attend
meetings or spend time "planning." Anything except getting
to work and getting things done.
I believe there are two wonderful tools that can over-come
that kind of deadly procrastination.
The first is to re-focus on the REASONS we want to do
something. One of my mentors, Jim Rohn, used to say that
"reasons come first, ways come second." What he meant is
that when we have enough GOOD REASONS to do something, we
will always find a "way" to get it done.
Nothing motivates me like reviewing the names and faces of
my clients. Knowing WHO will benefit from my work gets me
going! Remembering WHY we are working together gets me
excited and drives me all day long.
Countless people have told me that looking at their
sleeping children has motivated them to work a bit harder,
a bit smarter or a bit longer. Many people keep pictures of
their dream homes or other goals on their desks to remind
them of the REASONS WHY they work so hard.
The second key is to have a powerful "morning ritual" to
get you up and going each day. We are creatures of habit
and I believe it is vital to have a positive routine that
you follow EVERY MORNING.
Am an early riser, I look at the stars or the sunrise.
I think about my day. I visualize my schedule and the
opportunities ahead. I always end by listing a set of
three specific, actionable projects for the day.
Now, that particular set of rituals helps me, but I think
the most important thing is that you HAVE A RITUAL.
No matter what your goal or dream in life, the key is to
take the DAILY ACTIONS that are required to "get there."
Day by day, we need to get up, get going and do the things,
large or small to move forward, and the key is a daily
"jump start."
Develop rituals that get you up, get you focused and get
you going. Maybe its prayer or meditation, or exercise, or
breakfast with the kids. Maybe it's reading or a cold
shower, but develop your own personal "jump start" and use
it every single day to move you toward your most important
goals.
I am convinced that great achievements do NOT necessarily
require extraordinary people or unusual talent or "luck",
but great achievement DOES require that we do our work
faithfully, day by day.
Here is a great truth:  Inch by inch, day by day, step by
step, ANYTHING is possible. Develop a "daily jump-start"
and do your work, every day.

No comments: