Friday, June 17, 2016

GO WAY BEYOND REASONABLE

Consumers have a world of choices for even the most mundane
purchases. We have a dozen grocery and convenience stores
near us. There are pages of dentists, doctors, lawyers and
accountants in the phone book. My website is hosted…I don't
even no where!
So what makes people go out of their way to do business
with you?
Philip Humbert said, "Recently, a friend told me about a wonderful
experience he had when GM agreed to pay for work on his vehicle even
though it was 35,000 miles (!) out of warranty. In a less
dramatic story, we recently got Toyota to service the air
conditioner in Mary's car even though it was over the
warranty miles. Those stories turn customers into
"fanatics!"
I've often told the story of Fiddler's Green, a golf shop
here in Eugene that brags of having the largest on-course
pro shop in the world. People drive hundreds of miles to
buy golf clubs, bags and accessories from "Fid's" because
of their extraordinary service. The place is huge, and it's
fun. They greet you at the door, and they always have what
you're looking for--plus a few other "essentials" I didn't
know I was looking for!
I once wore out a golf bag, and they replaced it free. I
used it for over two years when the strap broke. I figured
that was ordinary wear and tear and I just wanted to get
one like it. The owner talked with me, said he'd "see what
I can do," made a phone call and handed me a brand new bag.
Now I'm telling you  about it, and recommending Fiddler's
Green to about 40,000 people!
What do people say about you and your business? How many
"fanatics" do you have? It only takes a handful of loyal,
life-long customers to make any business successful, but
too often we focus our attention (and budgets) on
advertising to get new customers in the door. That's a very
expensive way to do business!
Amaze your customers. Astonish them. Go way beyond

No comments: