Thursday, June 23, 2016

LEARNED ANYTHING NEW?

We constantly hear that what you know and who you know are
the twin paths to success. I believe that, and yet I'm
constantly amazed at how little responsibility people take
for up-grading their skills.
This week, I learned that the garage where I take my car
requires their employees to spend more hours (and more
money) per year on continuing education than most states
require for doctors, lawyers, or other professionals. Think
about that the next time you take your car in for repairs--
or the next time you talk with your physician!
I try to "practice what I preach" and this Sunday, while
you're reading impact, I will take a one-day
training to help us achieve our most important goals. Then,
in August, I'll spend two more days to get even better at
what I do. And in November, still another day, learning
even more with the same group of experts and advisors.
Sure, we'll have time for networking and fun, but the key
is that we are committed to learning more to make more,
build our business, and get better at the coaching I love.
Periodically I hear reports of how few books the average
person reads, or how few classes they take after they leave
school. I remember once hearing a friend say that if her
employer wanted her to get more education, "they'll have to
pay me for it." What a tragic attitude!
The keys to success are being able to do more, quicker and
better than your competition, and most of the time that
means KNOWING more than the next person. It means knowing
more about language, history and culture, knowing more
about your industry and having better contacts. It means
knowing HOW to learn, and using it to your advantage.
As Brian Tracy said for years, read the books. Attend the
seminars. Take the classes and expand your world. Jim Rohn
put it this way: "Work harder on yourself than you do on
your job."
To work less and earn more, you've got to know more than
your competitors. This week, sign up for at least one
seminar. Check a book out of the library. Plant the seeds
for your future. Learn more to earn more!

No comments: