Monday, March 20, 2017

OUR QUESTIONS DETERMINE OUR RESULTS

I've long noticed, and frequently written, that highly
successful people ask powerful (and empowering) questions.
High achievers ask more and better questions than most
people. And, they take action based on the answers! 
What are your most important projects? What one action,
more than all the others, will make a real difference? What
can and SHOULD you focus on? Where can you start? What can
you do right NOW to get started?
In contrast, most people ask really dumb questions. I don't
mean to be insulting, and I certainly include myself as
someone who has asked dumb questions. For instance, just
this week I caught myself asking, "Do I have to?"
I've asked, "Why me?" (REALLY dumb!) And I've asked myself
things like, Why is life so hard? Why do I always do that?
And so forth.
To a huge degree, the quality of our results equals the
quality of our questions, and there is no escape. If you
want to achieve more, have more, be and do more, the
easiest and surest route to success is to ask better
questions!
Practice asking yourself empowering questions. Write them
down on cards if you have to, or partner with a friend and
insist that everyday you will focus on asking the BEST
questions you can think of! Ask questions like:
What am I grateful for in this situation?
What can I learn from this?
What one thing, more than all the others, will move me
forward today?
What's the most important, life-enhancing thing I can do
today?
And, of course, once you have asked and answered your key
questions, you MUST take action!  Once they've asked and
answered highly effective questions, successful people
assemble the people, tools, skills, time, and energy to
create the outcomes they truly want!
They leave nothing to chance. If there are projects you
wish to accomplish, organize around those outcomes. High
achievers cancel appointments, send apologies and skip
meetings, they move money into the right accounts, and
adjust their schedules so their most important projects get
their best energy of the day.
In contrast, I frequently notice people doing the exact
opposite.
The errands, tasks, and "stuff" of the day get their best
energy. Money goes to bills and "necessities." Time goes to
work and friends and "resting," and what's left over is
available for their goals. No wonder they spend their lives
caught in "the thick of thin things!"
Too many of us are pursuing our most important goals with
the "left-overs" of life!
This week, I suggest three key steps:
1.  Affirm the most important projects on your dream or
wish list. What's on your list of most important things?
2.  Ask yourself empowering questions about what's
possible. What will move you forward? Who will help you?
Where can you start? What's next?
3.  Allocate resources so your most important projects get
your best efforts. Do the most important things when you
are awake, focused and eager. Arrange your budget so there
is enough money, enough time, and enough "space."  First
things deserve the very best of your key resources!

No comments: