Wednesday, March 1, 2017

THE 17% RULE

Tuesday was the end of February. Two months, or 17%, of the
year is already past. How are you doing on your most
important goals?
One of the ways I tell the difference between my goals and
my various dreams, hopes and fantasies is by whether or not
I track my progress. Dreams and wishes are fantastic fun.
They inspire me and they let me escape to a world where
everything is wonderful.
Goals, on the other hand, are pesky. Yes, they are fun
because they determine my future, but they require a whole
different set of skills and commitments.
Goals require planning and discipline. Goals require a
reasonable way to "get there." Goals make me think, solve
problems, and often require teamwork or partnership with
others.
Goals demand measurement.
With dreams, hopes and fantasies, I can work on them as I
have time or when I feel like it. Sometimes, I enjoy the
dream so much I don't actually do anything to make it
happen. I use it like a movie to entertain myself, and
that's alright. But it doesn't create results and it rarely
changes my life in a dramatic way.
Goals, on the other hand, require work and steady,
predictable progress. This week is the end of February,
2017. The obvious question is, am I 17% of the way to
achieving my goals for the year?
How about you? Have you deposited 17% of the income you
targeted for the year? Have you made 17% of the sales? Have
you called 17% of the people you said you would call this
year? Have you lost the weight or read the books or spent
the time with your loved ones that you said you would? If
not, why not?
Take a moment to assess your progress. If you are on track,
good for you! If not, evaluate your strategies to see if
they're working. If you aren't where you intended to be,
what changes will you make so that by March 31st you'll be
back on schedule?

No comments: