Monday, April 24, 2017

ORDINARY PEOPLE, EXTRAORDINARY LIVES

As we come to issues of IMPACT, two things stand
out to me.
The first is what an incredible privilege it has been to
share my thoughts with you every week. I have to admit that
much of the time I failed to appreciate and treasure this
privilege. There were weeks when it seemed like a chore.
But there were many other weeks when TIPS seemed to "write
itself." Sometimes, I was basically a scribe, simply
reporting the ideas a client gave me, or sharing something
I heard or read during the week. I humbly confess, too
often I've failed to give full credit to the clients,
friends, colleagues and heroes to have inspired me.
And, of course, there have been times TIPS has seemed like
real work. Sometimes an idea would tease me, glimmering
just out of reach and I had to search for the words.
As we come near the end, it's important to share with you
that this bit of work, difficult at times and begun almost
as a flight of whimsy over twenty years ago, has turned out
to be one of the great blessings of my life.
The second vital point is to say, once again, how
profoundly I believe that every human being deserves to
live an extraordinary, fulfilling life.
From the outside, I think most of us appear to be pretty
ordinary folk. Most people will never invent the internet,
walk on the moon or be famous for anything at all. Most of
us live our lives in relative obscurity. We do our work,
pay our taxes, win or lose a few battles, and are blessed
to be loved by those who know us well.
And yet, at a deeper level, we all know the potential and
joy of living well.
IMPACT has been dedicated to the proposition that a few
fundamentals, practiced daily, can make all the difference.
I've never tried to catalog the full list of those
fundamentals, and I won't try to list them here, but these
few strike me as essential:
1.  Tell the truth and live with integrity. Be who you are.
Stand tall. Own your opinions, your values, your dreams,
and let who you are shine brightly in a world that can seem
dark and random.
2.  Work hard on things that matter. I believe in the  joy
and dignity of human effort. I've often railed against the
silliness (the sin?) of wasting our lives on petty chores
when, instead, we can pursue our passion and work with God
to create a better world.
3.  Love yourself and others. Be kind. Give thanks. Share
hugs and laughter. Life is short, make it count. I love
Jimmy Buffet's observation that, "Having fun is about as
good a hobby as there is." Make mischief, be creative and
draw outside the lines.
4.  Have big goals. Life should have direction and themes,
it should have purpose and commitment. Don't let yourself
wander or drift. Be the captain of your own ship. Set your
sails and go someplace interesting.
5.  Pay attention to little things. Thomas Leonard taught
me to "clean up the tolerations." Pick up your socks,
confront the petty bullies of life, read to a child, leave
the world a little better than you found it. In the
morning, appreciate the miracle of each sunrise, and in the
evening, let the sun set on a day well lived.
One of my most important insights has been that living a
great life is actually easier than living a miserable one.
Living well is not hard. It involves some easy disciplines.
It means avoiding procrastination and sloppiness. It means
living within your means and trying new things. It means
taking risks and making a few mistakes, but the rewards are
joy, love, peace of mind and a legacy of profound and
enduring success.
Make this a week of amazing and extraordinary joy.

No comments: