Friday, May 13, 2016

GETTING NOTICED IN A NOISY WORLD

This week I saw one of those studies that claim we are
exposed to over 3500 marketing messages every day of our
lives. I have no idea how these things are measured, but
when I see my junk mail, listen to the radio or surf the
Internet, I believe it's true.
The challenge for any business is to get noticed in a vast
sea of noise and nonsense. In a world of spam and
"personalized" advertising, how will your business reach
new customers?
My own sense is that advertising is less and less
effective. I suspect that most of us are almost immune to
it. I think our brains have become like television remote
controls and we simply turn off, tune out and insolate
ourselves from as many ads as possible.
On the other hand, I'm convinced that positive word-of-
mouth is more trusted and more powerful than ever. We pay
attention when a friend praises their auto mechanic, lawyer
or other professional. How often have you gone to a movie,
tried a new restaurant or even bought a car because someone
insisted they "absolutely loved" it? Most of us have done
that.
Rather than spend more and more on more advertising, why
not invest in the customers you already have? Why not work
with people you already know?
How do you do that? Simple! Here are two of the most common
methods.
First, give great service. Go the extra mile. Do something
"above and beyond." Surprise your clients and see what
happens. I think you'll find the investment turns out to be
a bargain.
Second, specifically encourage your clients to make
referrals. If it's ethical in your profession or business,
start a "rewards" program. Give gift certificates or at
least a thank-you card to every client who refers a friend.
It's easy, it's inexpensive, and it works.

No comments: