Wednesday, August 3, 2016

BRANDING AT 50 PACES

At the height of his career, what color shirt did Tiger
Woods wear almost every Sunday? Golfers around the world
know this one: RED!
Now, here's a more obscure test for middle-aged golfing
fans:  What color did Gary Player wear every weekend?
Answer: For 30 years, Gary Player was been known for his
black shirts and slacks.
Why is that important? Because branding makes a difference!
Here's a true story. Philip Humbert, "Recently, I needed a small gift to
repay a favor from a friend, who I know enjoys cigars. I
asked an attorney friend of mine for a recommendation and
instead of giving me a name, Bill Honsowetz walked me
across the parking lot to his car and gave me two beautiful
cigars. I ask him why and his response was that the cigars
(for prospects who enjoy them) were part of his marketing
and branding program.
Well. I'd never heard anything quite like that, but I gave
the cigars to Jeff and to my surprise, he was delighted and
immediately asked me where I got them. I told him the
story, and within two weeks, Bill had a new client. Hmmm….
The point is NOT about cigars, folks!
A long-time friend and colleague, Joeann Fossland, used to
be known for her bright red outfits and her big, floppy red
hats. At any coaching convention, you could spot Joeann
across the hotel lobby at 50 paces. It's memorable,
tasteful, and distinctive.
For the past several years, when I lead corporate
workshops, I've worn a "uniform" of dress slacks and a nice
golf shirt with my logo embroidered on the front. I've
become known for it, and it certainly makes packing my
suitcase easier!
The point is this: Whatever your profession or role, if you
can develop a distinctive and appropriate "uniform", it
will dramatically increase your brand memory and
recognition. I'm not sure about the cigars, but everyone
knows the FedEx logo and the UPS brown trucks, right? Think
about it.

No comments: