Monday, August 15, 2016

MORALE, FOCUS & BETTER RESULTS

Philip Humbert wrote, "I've recently worked with a company near Portland,
Oregon, that makes knives. Not just any knives, mind you, but
superb, top-of-the-line knives for first responders, elite
military units and collectors. What makes Benchmade stand
out is the quality of their products and the enthusiasm of
their people.
When I walk in the door, the receptionist asks me why I'm
there and who I want to see. She has me sign in and gives
me a badge, just like at a hundred other companies. And, to
be fair, I've never been treated badly by any receptionist,
anywhere.
But what makes Shelley stand out is that she manages to
communicate respect for me, and her sense of pride at
working for Benchmade. Unlike many receptionists who see
visitors as an interruption or even a violation of company
space, Shelley is welcoming, courteous, and eager to go the
"extra mile" to make my visit a success.
When I walk onto the shop floor, people are busy but you
can feel the enthusiasm. Most of them wear eye protection,
shop aprons and often have other protective gear, but
whether it's their hats or T-shirts with slogans, everyone
is clearly an individual, and part of a team.
My introduction to Benchmade was in their Customer Service
department. I took in a beat-up knife I'd bought at a flea-
market to see if they could do anything with it. Instead of
being critical of me for abusing their product, they took
it as a challenge and they performed miracles! It'll never
be like new but it's better, smoother and sharper than I
imagined possible. Aaron, Julie and Chrystal worked on it
and didn't charge me a penny.
I was so impressed, I sent them a Thank You card!
This story is about a business that is growing and
providing a "triple-win" for their customers, their
employees and the owner every single day. The sharpest
contrast came in a conversation with a customer I
interviewed. He had dealt with another knife manufacturer
in the Portland area, a company that also makes a superb
product. He had a problem, but ran into a brick wall about
service. His anger at the other company was palpable and he
swears that from now on, he and his team will "only carry
Benchmade."
No wonder this company is growing! "Triple-win" policies
don't cost, they pay. Big time!

No comments: